STANDISH, Maine – University of Southern Maine (4-4) tipped Saint Joseph's College (0-6), 3-1 (25-15, 19-25, 26-24, 25-19), in a non-conference women's volleyball match at the Harold Alfond Center on Thursday evening.
After suffering a 25-15 setback in the first set, the Monks put forth their best effort of the season with a .458 attack percentage in a 25-19 second-set victory, evening the match at 1-1. The third set features six lead changes and seven tie scores before the Huskies posted a pair of kills to take a 26-24 win and a 2-1 match lead.
Southern Maine held an 18-10 lead in the fourth set after rattling off eight-unanswered points, but Saint Joseph's put up a fight with a 7-3 run and trailed 21-17 after sophomore Madison Provencher (Rochester, N.H.) delivered a service ace. As it played out, the Huskies proceeded to win the set, and the match, with the help of four unforced SJC errors.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Junior Kelsey Bickford (Somersworth, N.H.) notched a match-high 15 kills – with just two errors – on 33 attempts for a .394 attack percentage
- Sophomore Sophia Randall (Epping, N.H.) boasted 37 assists and five digs
- Senior Jennelle Thompson (Rochester, N.H.) produced a match-high 25 digs
- Freshman Sarah Quinn (Dover, N.H.) dealt eight kills with four digs
- Sophomore Erin Olson (Stoughton, Mass.) chipped in with seven kills and a pair of block assists
LEADERS – SOUTHERN MAINE:
- Sophomore Kacey Foerster (Scarborough, Maine) tallied 13 kills and four digs
- Senior Nicole Schmitz (St. Paul, Minn.) recorded 27 assists, five digs, three kills, and a pair of aces
- Sophomore Kristina Odom (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) added 12 digs
- Megan Gettings (Bristol, Conn.), Kylee Austin (Saco, Maine), Jamie Jannarone (Windham, Maine), and Alexis Dow (Miami, Fla.) contributed eight kills apiece
Southern Maine held the lead in kills (48-42), attack rate (.270-.241), and assists (45-41) while Saint Joseph's posted advantages in aces (8-5) and digs (53) on the evening. The Huskies committed a total of 35 errors while the Monks tallied 45 miscues, including 12 service errors, in the loss.
With the loss, Saint Joseph's falls to 17-19 (since 1989) versus University of Southern Maine and has now dropped four-consecutive matches at the hands of the Huskies.
The Monks are back in action Saturday with a pair of games at University of Saint Joseph, as they face the Blue Jays in their conference opener at 12:00 PM and take on non-conference foe Mitchell College at 2:00 PM.