STANDISH, Maine – Senior forward Marc Corey (Londonderry, N.H.) scored 27 points to help lift Saint Joseph's College (5-2) past Bates College (2-4), 82-58, in a non-conference men's basketball game at the Harold Alfond Center on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Saint Joseph's held the lead for all but the opening possession and blew the game open early. With the score tied 8-8 four minutes into play, the hosts launched a 16-2 run capped by a pair of Corey freebies to claim a 24-10 advantage with 10:07 before the break.
The Bobcats drew back to within six points (28-22) five minutes later when a Nick Lynch (Westford, Mass.) bucket closed out a 12-4 surge at the 5:14 mark, but Corey netted a pair of three-pointers and sophomore Jack Casale (Portland, Maine/Cheverus) added another to help the Monks take a 43-26 cushion into intermission.
St. Joe's managed to lead by at least 17 points for the remainder of the afternoon and held a 24-point advantage (59-35) with 13:53 left in the game.
STATS OF THE GAME:
There was a major discrepancy in three-point shooting, as the Monks posted a 52.4% (11-21) performance and the Bobcats countered with a 13.6% (3-22) effort…Overall, St. Joe's shot 53.8% (28-52) from the floor and Bates was 26-70 (37.1%) from the field.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Corey was 9-13 from the floor, 4-7 from downtown, and 5-6 from the FT line en route to scoring a game-high 27 points
- Senior guard Darian Berry (Rochester, N.H.) approached a double-double with 15 points and nine rebounds
- Casale contributed 15 points, six rebounds, and three assists
- Senior guard Ian Mileikis (Auburn, Maine) added 14 points, four boards, four assists, and two steals and was 6-6 from the free throw line
LEADERS – BATES:
- Lynch paced the Bobcats with 16 points and six rebounds
- Sophomore guard Malik Velmar (Yorktown, Va.) was 3-3 from beyond the arc with 11 points in 13 minutes off the bench
Saint Joseph's is now 9-14 all-time versus Bates College and, with last year's 75-72 triumph in Lewiston, has topped the Bobcats in consecutive meetings for the third time in the history of the matchup, with the last instance occurring during the 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons.
Both teams resume play Tuesday, when Saint Joseph's hosts Maine Maritime at 7:30 PM and Bates travels to Husson University for a 7:00 PM tip-off.