STANDISH, Maine – Bowdoin College (9-5) topped Saint Joseph's College (12-4), 93-80, in a non-conference men's basketball contest at the Harold Alfond Center on Tuesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Bowdoin emerged from a seesaw first half – which featured seven tie scores and eight lead changes – with a 38-31 lead and held a game-high 20-point (61-41) cushion six minutes into the second stanza.
The Monks whittled away at the deficit and cut the Polar Bears' lead down to five points (71-66) after sophomore Jack Casale (Portland, Maine/Cheverus) capped a 20-8 run with a three-pointer with 6:24 remaining. A comeback was not in the cards however, as Bowdoin went on to put the game away with 10 unanswered points in the following three minutes.
STAT OF THE GAME:
Bowdoin posted a stellar 89.5% (17-19) effort from the free throw line while the Monks went just 8-for-13 (61.5%) from the charity stripe.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Casale registered his seventh double-double of the season with 2- points and 10 rebounds and added seven assists
- Freshman guard Nicholas Curtis (Windham, Maine) was 6-6 from the field and 4-4 from three-point range with a career-high 16 points
- Sophomore point guard Tatsuaki Sakai (Ishikawa, Japan) added 11 points, four assists, and three steals
- Senior guard Darian Berry (Rochester, N.H.) contributed 11 points and five caroms
- Senior guard Ian Mileikis (Auburn, Maine) chipped in with nine points, six rebounds, and three assists
LEADERS – BOWDOIN:
- Sophomore guard Zavier Rucker (Woodbury, Conn.) scored 23 points with five rebounds, five assists, and two steals
- Junior guard David Reynolds (Raleigh, N.C.) added 20 points after making 4-of-9 attempts from downtown
- Senior forward Jack Simonds (Falmouth, Maine) netted 13 with four boards
Saint Joseph's is now 10-16 in the history of the series with Bowdoin College.
Saint Joseph's resumes GNAC play Saturday with a 3:00 PM game at Johnson & Wales University.