STANDISH, Maine – University of New England (13-2) defeated Saint Joseph's College (5-14), 3-0 (25-20, 25-15, 25-15), in a non-conference volleyball match at the Harold Alfond Center on Thursday evening.
The Alfond Center gym was adorned with pink streamers and players from both teams sported pink gear in support of the annual "Dig Pink" initiative, a national event held during Breast Cancer Awareness month by middle school, high school, and collegiate teams across the nation to help increase awareness and raise funds in support of breast cancer research. For more information, visit it the Sideout Foundation website.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Sophomore Nicole Baron (Derry, N.H.) paced the Monks with eight kills
- Junior Erin Olson (Stoughton, Mass.) added six kills with no errors on nine attempts
- Freshman Hanna Holden (Stoughton, Mass.) dealt 11 assists with seven digs
- Senior Kelsey Bickford (Somersworth, N.H.) chipped in with three kills and a pair of aces
- Senior Bailey Gryskwicz (Standish, Maine) picked up nine digs
- Junior Madison Provencher (Rochester, N.H.) contributed eight digs
LEADERS – UNE:
- Senior Katie Flynn (Merrimack, N.H.) led all players with 11 kills and added seven digs
- Junior Molly Camelo (Melrose, Mass.) posted five kills, two aces, and four digs
- Junior Sydney Christiansen (Palatine, Ill.) delivered 18 assists
- Senior Katie Marsh (Melbourne, Australia) boasted 24 digs, eight assists, and four service aces
Saint Joseph's travels to Boston for a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) tri-match on Saturday, as the Monks will face University of Saint Joseph (CT) at 1:00 PM and tri host Emmanuel College at 3:00 PM.